I have never struggled as much as I did with this stupid letter. I have reached L is for Lime in the A-Z Food Photography Project. This one was no fun.
Let’s start with a few facts. L is a boring letter. Not that many foods start with L. Cutting limes can be hard. Cutting liquorice is even harder. I hate liquorice. Let’s see how things went in the making of L is for Lime.
L is for Liquorice – first try
The original idea for this letter was to make a super cool L using a gothic font and shaping it out of various pieces of liquorice. I tried that for the bigger part of an evening and as it turns out it is more or less impossible to cut liquorice into a cool looking gothic L. At least if you want it to look decent.
L is for Liquorice – second try
So instead i thought about using the natural lines in some of the pieces of liquorice and using that pattern to make a really cool L. That took another few hours and the result was seriously ugly.
L is for Lime – first try
So now I gave up on liquorice. Let’s go for my good friend lime instead. Limes look cool and actually taste good. I started to make a design more or less like the first letter I made. The A is for Apple. I made it and once it was done it just felt to similar. If I am going to make all 25 letters they can’t all be more or less the same. Also it didn’t look good enough.
So maybe I can do a more three dimensional letter. So I made another not that great looking L out of limes and then added lemon skins to make it look cool. It didn’t.
L is for Lime – second try
Now that was the process. Now we are talking about what is actually in this letter. I changed some things up and went for whole limes instead. And instead of cutting them into slices I cut away the sides and placed them on top of each other to shape the L. I also went back to a black background because I haven’t used black for a few letters now.
What I used
If we leave out all the failed tries this is what I used for the L is for Lime.
- 10 limes (a few extra)
- black background
- black board to place the limes on
- 2 softbox lights
After cutting the limes I placed them on top of each other. I used a black painted board to place them on. Then I sprinkled them with water to make them shine a bit more. As a background I used a black fabric. Two softbox lights that was set one on each side and then I took the photo from the front. Not very complicated at all.
Next letter will be M. Let’s see what I come up with then.
About A-Z Photography Project at Ateriet
A-Z Photography Project is a photo project here at Ateriet and at Instagram. The idea is to photograph each letter of the alphabet and let it represent one food or something edible. I am making the project for fun and to hopefully improve on my photography skills.
Feel free to share and contribute and come with critique about this project, just send us an email, leave a comment or connect on social media.